Peats – we have often heard this name from many people. People are worried and irritated because of pests in their homes. Pests include a variety of insects like flies, cockroaches, rats, spiders, etc. They can be a real menace in our homes. The kitchen is the most used part of the house. And if it is infested by pests, then we need to do some kitchen cleaning! Now, cleaning the kitchen does not mean wiping the floors or sink. If you know you have pests residing in your house, it’s time to do pest control.
Pests not only creep the hell out of us, but they also carry certain diseases with them. Hiring a pest control service is the best option in such a situation. These services include termite control treatment, bed bugs control, cockroach control, etc. But it is not up to the service providers to ensure that pests do not enter your house again. You also need to be careful to avoid the pests from re-entering. When we say kitchen, pests are majorly found in seeds, nuts, dried food, milk, tea, etc. Beetles, Moths, and Mites are some of the common pests found in the kitchen. In this article, we will show you how you can maintain your kitchen before and after the pest control treatment.
The first thing to do is to know the kind of pest that has infested your house. Once you know which service you need to go for, it becomes easy to take care of and maintain the kitchen.
Kitchen Cleaning – Things To Do Before Pest Control
- Give Access
Our kitchen includes a lot of things like a fridge, Oven, Chimney, etc. The very first thing you need to do is to give access to the professionals by removing these heavy items from your kitchen. By removing them, the professionals will be able to reach the corners of your kitchen, where the pest might have started infesting. By removing such appliances, you are also ensuring their safety from chemicals.
When you are in the kitchen, you need to clean each and every bit of dirt so that the pests cannot thrive. Here are some key pointers that you need to keep in mind.
- Clear out the dustbin.
- Clean the countertops and store all the crockery, utensils, cups, plates, etc. Kitchen cabinets will also be sprayed because this is where maximum pests are attracted. Thus, you need to remove your crockery for better cleaning.
- Kitchen appliances should be moved out from the kitchen. If this is not possible, then you can unplug the appliances and cover them with a cloth or plastic wrapping.
- Cover the water outlet of your water filter with plastic as well.
- Do not cover kitchen sinks as they will also be sprayed to avoid cockroaches from entering.
- All the food in the refrigerator must be stored in thick plastic containers. This step is necessary because pests can feed on thin plastic and seek refuge inside. Thus, cover the food with thick plastic. Also, you can store spices and chips inside the fridge to avoid pests from entering.
- Since you have to unplug your fridge, it is best for you to finish off perishables and discard leftovers for a better cleaning of the fridge and kitchen.
You need to keep these things in mind before the pest control treatment begins. Once the treatment begins, you cannot touch anything for 1-2 days. Thus, it is essential that you take care of and follow the pointers mentioned above. Now, let us look at the things that you must do after the pest control treatment.
Things To Do After Pest Control Treatment
Now that you are done with pest control treatment, let us take a look as to what you need to do next.
After the treatment has been done, wait for the desired time to put back the appliances and use your kitchen. The professionals will tell you when to start using your kitchen and appliances.
- Leftover Food
If you have not discarded leftover food before the treatment, now is the time. No matter if you feel the food is edible, you need to discard it. After all, the chemical sprays, the leftover food will never be healthy for you.
- Do not Clean Immediately
Do not sweep and mop the floor immediately after the treatment has been done. You will be told when you need to clean. There are certain areas in the kitchen that you must not wash. Thus, everyone is suggested not to go for deep cleaning for at least one week.
- Repairing Leaks
If you have any leaking taps or drainage pipes in the house, get them fixed ASAP. Water leakage serves as an entry for pests. This may lead to a re-infestation. Thus, repairing leaks is very important.
- Keep Checking
In the days following the treatment, you may find some dead pests every now and then. Make sure to check the spots regularly and keep them clean. Dead pests can also attract other pests.
So, these are some of the kitchen cleaning before and after hacks. For cleaning the kitchen, it is necessary that you follow the steps mentioned above. These steps are not exhausting. Also, you need to leave your house for 2-3 days because pest control can have negative effects on your health. Thus, follow these key pointers and coordinate with pest control service providers for effective cleaning of your kitchen.
- How soon can I mop the kitchen floor after pest control?
You need to wait for at least 24 hours after the pest control treatment has been done. After that, you can mop the floors. Do not touch or clean anything unless it is recommended by the professionals.
- Do I need to wash everything in my kitchen after pest control?
If you have tightly covered each and every thing, then there’s no need to wash utensils, crockery, plates, etc. But if you feel that the chemical might have reached some places, then it is better to wash them.
- How do I prepare my kitchen for pest control treatment?
You need to follow the kitchen cleaning hacks before the pest control treatment mentioned above. Just follow them and you will see that your kitchen is cleaned without any fuss and chaos.