Image Credit: https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/adult-repairman-in-a-special-uniform-laying-tiles-on-the-wall-at-bathroom-in-new-gm1420928376-466735294
A party wall surveyor is a professional who specializes in surveying and advising on party walls, which are walls that separate buildings and are shared by two or more property owners. A surveyor plays a crucial role in managing disputes between neighboring property owners over issues such as construction work that affects a shared wall or changes to the wall itself.
Why do you need a professional party wall surveyor?
You might need a professional party wall surveyor in the following circumstances:
- When carrying out work on a shared wall: If you are planning to carry out construction work on a shared wall, such as an extension, you may need to serve a party wall notice on your neighbours. They can advise you on the procedures involved and help ensure that the process is followed correctly.
- When your neighbour is carrying out work on a shared wall: If your neighbour is planning to carry out work on a shared wall and has served you with a party wall notice, a party wall surveyor can advise you on your rights and help ensure that your interests are protected.
- When there is a dispute over a shared wall: If there is a dispute between you and your neighbour over a shared wall, a licensed surveyor can act as an impartial expert and help resolve the dispute.
A party wall surveyor is typically a professional with specialized training and experience in surveying and advising on party walls. By using a professional party wall surveyor, you can ensure that the processes involved in managing a shared wall are followed correctly and that your interests are protected. You can learn more about the local rules and regulations online associated with shared walls.
Chartered party wall surveyors versus unqualified surveyors
- Chartered Party Wall Surveyors are surveyors who are members of professional bodies such as the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and have been trained to the highest professional standards. They have extensive knowledge of party wall legislation, building construction, and dispute resolution, and commit to on-going professional development.
- Unqualified surveyors are individuals who have not undergone any formal training or obtained any professional qualifications. They may have a general knowledge of construction and building regulations, but they lack the specialized expertise and professional conduct of a Chartered Party Wall Surveyor.
When it comes to party wall matters, it is always recommended to appoint a Chartered Party Wall Surveyor to ensure that the survey is conducted professionally and impartially.
Image Credit: https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/adult-repairman-in-a-special-uniform-laying-tiles-on-the-wall-at-bathroom-in-new-gm1420928435-466735301
How to choose a party wall surveyor in London?
Choosing the right party wall surveyor can be a critical decision, as they play a key role in managing the legal process of party wall matters and ensuring that the interests of all parties involved are protected.
Here are some steps you can follow to choose the right party wall surveyor in London:
- Check credentials: Ensure that the surveyor is qualified, experienced, and registered with a professional body such as the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
- Check for experience: Consider the surveyor’s experience in handling party wall matters, and look for someone who specializes in this field.
- Ask for referrals: Ask friends, family, or acquaintances if they have used a party wall surveyor in the past and if they would recommend them.
- Schedule consultations: Schedule consultations with several surveyors and ask about their approach, experience, and fees.
- Evaluate communication skills: Choose a surveyor who is a good communicator and can explain complex legal processes clearly and concisely.
- Read reviews: Look for online reviews or testimonials from previous clients to gauge the surveyor’s reputation.
- Compare fees: Get quotes from several surveyors and compare their fees to determine which surveyor provides the best value for money.
By following these steps, you can make an informed decision and choose a qualified and experienced party wall surveyor in London who can meet your needs.